The word understanding here must be emphasized. understanding is what makes us to be outstanding in all our endeavours. Anything you don’t understand will leads to abuse. Our understanding on any subject matter will enable us to command outstanding results.
What is Fasting?
Fasting is fastening and afflicting the body in order to edify the spirit. The battle of life can’t be fought with Six packs. You will need to build your inner man in order to withstand the storms of life.
What is Prayer?
Prayer simply means communication between man and God. For a communication channel to be completed, there must be feedback. A communication without a feedback is rendered incomplete. So also, prayer is incomplete without answer. Prayers are meant for answers. There is nothing like unanswered prayer. “Elias was a man subject to like passion as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. And he prayed again and heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.” James.5:17.
Prayer is simply giving God back his word.
Both fasting and prayer are neither advice, nor admonition. Fasting and prayer are commandments.
“But thou when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy father which is in the secret; and thy father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.” Mat.6:6. It is when you pray not if you pray which means there must be a particular time you must pray.
“But thou, when thou fastest, annoint thy head, and wash thy face.” Mat.6:17. Again. It is when you fast not if you fast. So, fasting and prayer are not optional.
Fasting without prayer is a waste. God doesn’t answers the fast, it is the prayer in the fast that God answers. Fasting is meant to facilitates answered prayer. “And Jesus said unto them, this kind come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.” Mark. 9:29. It is prayer and fasting. Not fasting alone. So don’t just sit down and wait for 6 O’clock to knack, Pray.
What are the Values of Prayer and Fasting?
- Prayer and fasting empowers us for higher dimension of spiritual authority – Jesus was just like any other person, but after embarking on forty days prayer and fasting; people began to exclaim what manner of man is this! We have seen strange things today! We never saw it in this fashion! “And he said unto them, where is your faith? And they being afraid wondered, saying one to another, what manner of man is this! And he commanded even the winds and water, and they obey him.” Lk.8:25. As you key into the commandment of fasting, your question marks will turn to exclamation marks.
- Prayer and fasting destroys all negatives and unwanted habits – All negative habits are products of satanic oppressions. Prayer and fasting kills the character of corruption, stealing, embezzlements, siphoning of public funds into private accounts, smoking, drinking, fornication, etc. “Is this not the fast that I have chosen? To loose the bands of the wickedness, to undo the heavy burndens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke.” Is.58:6. There are forces of hell that will not leave you until you fast.
- Prayer and fasting is the key to divine health – Serving God guarantees divine health. “And ye shall serve the LORD your God, and he shall bless thy bread, and thy water; and I will take sickness away from the midst of thee.” Ex.23:25. However, we saw an example of Hannah at 82 serving God with prayer and fasting in the temple. “And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers nights and days.” Lk.2:37. Prayer and fasting has proven to be one of the cheapest and profitable platform of service.
- Prayer and fasting unleashes divine insights – “And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noon day.” Is.58:10. It your insight that sharpens your foresight.
- Prayer and fasting engenders the release of open rewards – Your secret fasting is the gateway to open blessings. “But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thy head and wash thy face. That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy father which is in the secret: and thy father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.” Mat.6:17-18