There are some students whose carryovers are many in their first and second years in school as a result of lack of proper orientation before they entered school. Most students get carried away with the very first news that they have been admitted into a university without knowing that the end of a race is the beginning of a new one. Most of the students are ignorance of the kind of tasks that they are going to face in school. This is the reason why most students think that they are going to school to enjoy freedom that they could not enjoy under their parents – though, freedom is good – but must not be misused.
If you want to make it in school, do not play with the first and second year of your academic journey because these two periods are the periods in which you can use to boost your GP (Great Point). Try to make the most of these periods because the higher its go, the tougher it becomes. Lecturers are always stingy in giving marks in 300 and 400 levels respectively. But, just in case you have made mistakes in your 100 or 200 level by having poor grades and a lot of carryovers, do not worry as it is never too late to wake up and everything is going to be alright by following the advice given in this post.
- Be determined to change – Human beings possess the ability to learn good habits and to unlearn bad habits. Humans are complex and erratic in nature. So, change is possible you must be ready to unlearnt bad habits and learn good habits.
- Locate the root of your failure – Failure does not mean the end of life, every problem has a source and there is no life on the earth that is free from challenges. The source of your failure might be spiritual of physical. May be, your covenant walk with your God is faulty or not, whether you do not attend class regularly, or study is not your lifestyle. You can always locate the area of your failure through proper meditation.
- Have a new approach – Now that you have been able to locate the source of your failure, it is now the time to have fresh strategies. Device new methods in your spiritual life, device new methods in your physical life. This step may be costly, but the end result is priceless. For example, may be you are addicted to smoking before, you will have to pay the price of leaving cigarette, or let say you are addicted to clubbing before you will have to pay the price of leaving club.
- Change friends – If the friends whom you are moving with before are lazy and bad friends, there is no way that you will not be affected by them. Choose new friends, who are committed to their studies, select friends who can ginger (motivate) you to wake up in the night to read. Make your friendship with Godly people. Genuine Godly people are always brilliant people. Show me your friend and I will tell you who you are.
- Be dedicated – There are no lucky successful people; there are dedicated successful men and women on earth. If you can remain dedicated in both your spiritual and physical life, trust me, you are not far from been successful.
- Possess a success’ mentality – You might have been grounded before, but you can always walk out of your academic failure. Always think positive and never think negative. What you think and believe has a long way to determine who you are. And lastly,
- Be thankful – There are so many frustrated prayer warriors but praise warriors can never be frustrated. You change levels when you thank God for where you are (Jer 30:19). There are people behind the position you are in the class, what you have are other people prayer requests. Make praise your lifestyle.