Failure is not the end of life. Those who are successful in any field have tried and failed once or twice. Thomas Edison tried and failed 1000 times in order to make a lighting bulb. If there is any student going through academic struggle, I am here for you, I am your friend as I have also been where you are before. Read my post as it might be the best way out you can ever get.
There are some students whose carryovers are many in their first and second years in school as a result of lack of proper orientation before they entered school. Most students get carried away with the very first news that they have been admitted into a university without knowing that the end of a race is the beginning of a new one. Most of the students are ignorance of the kind of tasks that they are going to face in school. This is the reason why most students think that they are going to school to enjoy freedom that they could not enjoy under their parents – though, freedom is good – but must not be misused.
If you want to make it in school, do not play with the first and second year of your academic journey because these two periods are the periods in which you can use to boost your GP (Great Point). Try to make the most of these periods because the higher its go, the tougher it becomes. Lecturers are always stingy in giving marks in 300 and 400 levels respectively. But, just in case you have made mistakes in your 100 or 200 level by having poor grades and a lot of carryovers, do not worry as it is never too late to wake up and everything is going to be alright by following the advice given in this post.
- Be determined to change – Human beings possess the ability to learn good habits and to unlearn bad habits. Humans are complex and erratic in nature. So, change is possible you must be ready to unlearnt bad habits and learn good habits.
- Locate the root of your failure – Failure does not mean the end of life, every problem has a source and there is no life on the earth that is free from challenges. The source of your failure might be spiritual of physical. May be, your covenant walk with your God is faulty or not, whether you do not attend class regularly, or study is not your lifestyle. You can always locate the area of your failure through proper meditation.
- Have a new approach – Now that you have been able to locate the source of your failure, it is now the time to have fresh strategies. Device new methods in your spiritual life, device new methods in your physical life. This step may be costly, but the end result is priceless. For example, may be you are addicted to smoking before, you will have to pay the price of leaving cigarette, or let say you are addicted to clubbing before you will have to pay the price of leaving club.
- Change friends – If the friends whom you are moving with before are lazy and bad friends, there is no way that you will not be affected by them. Choose new friends, who are committed to their studies, select friends who can ginger (motivate) you to wake up in the night to read. Make your friendship with Godly people. Genuine Godly people are always brilliant people. Show me your friend and I will tell you who you are.
- Be dedicated – There are no lucky successful people; there are dedicated successful men and women on earth. If you can remain dedicated in both your spiritual and physical life, trust me, you are not far from been successful.
- Possess a success’ mentality – You might have been grounded before, but you can always walk out of your academic failure. Always think positive and never think negative. What you think and believe has a long way to determine who you are. And lastly,
- Be thankful – There are so many frustrated prayer warriors but praise warriors can never be frustrated. You change levels when you thank God for where you are (Jer 30:19). There are people behind the position you are in the class, what you have are other people prayer requests. Make praise your lifestyle.
If you can put all the steps outlined above to work, I bet you, your academic results will transformed like a dream of the night.
Do not indulge in sex – You don’t need it for now. Having sex with a guy does not mean he will marry you. Anybody who cannot wait for you to complete your studies and get married to him should better go. Beware!! Most especially the ‘freshers’ (new comers), don’t allow some guys deceive you to sleep with them just because you are fresher. Do not hang in guys’ hostel to do your admission processing and verification. There are so many cases where ladies cookies were gotten cheaply in the course of admission processing and verification. Do not act like ‘JJC’ (new comer). So, be smart.
- Do not miss lectures – Varsity is not just only about being guru (good/genius). There are so many brilliant students who will still come out with third class. Most lecturers ask students questions in the exams based on what they discussed with them in the class because they know that it is not all students that attend classes. Be humble, varsity is all about learning with character. Do not act as ‘Oga’ (boss) when you have not graduated. Be real and do not copy others.
- Do not ignore your assignments – Assignments are important. Some carry 5, 10 or 15 marks while attendance carries 10 marks as well. It just depends on the style of the lecturers. Some lecturers may decide to use assignments to award the whole marks for CA (Continuous Assessment). Just make sure that you do them and appropriately. Do not copy and paste, do them yourself. The ones that you can’t handle can be taken to your seniors who are ‘good’ in order to assist you.
- Do not miss CA and EXAMS – Please; this is your life we are talking about. Do not pay someone to write your CA and Exams for you. Do everything yourself. Read, study, burn candles overnight and prepare well for your CA and exams.
- Do not stay or sleep in guys hostel in the night – You might end up giving out your cookies foolishly or even been raped.
- Do not club – For me, I do not think that you need clubbing (partying) for now. Clubbing will only serve as a distraction and destruction to your academic success. Instead of going to the club, attend church services and programmes as this will do you a lot of good.
- Do not gossip – ladies I beg your pardon to say this, it seems as if it is in the blood of most ladies to gossip. Do not forget that you are in the varsity to learn theories and solve complex calculations. Therefore, you have to do more keeping quiet than talking. Those who talk more than they listen are always foolish.
- Do not live a couples life on campus – There are so many girls who go to varsity to live with their boyfriends. This is very bad as it is not good for your success in both academics and future. We have seen many cases where some ladies who are sent to varsity for studies ended up being a full time house wife while still in school. She will wash her boyfriend cloths, boxers, cook food, pay rent and spend all her hard earned parents’ money on one stupid boy that will not marry her. Ladies!!! Wise up.
- DO not do without having a smart phone – You will need a smart phone even if it the lowest cost ones, just make sure that you get yourself one. This is to keep you updated and informed about academic activities. Make sure that you are on your department group chat and don’t be stingy to buy data on your phone. Your class representative will have to be communicating with the class via group chat. There might be some changes in lecture periods, venues or their might be fixed classes. All of which will be communicated via the group chat. So, you will need good phone.
- Do not miss tutorials – Tutorials are like lessons outside the school which can be organized by co-students, seniors, or external persons. Via tutorials you can learn so many things that are not cleared to you in the class. Finally, ask questions! Ask questions!! Ask Google questions too!!! Thanks.